Do you have tools passed down to you?

Discussion in 'Woodworking Hand Tools' started by carrot, Feb 27, 2012.

1. carrot

carrot New Member

I like hand tools, especially really old ones because they usually work better and last longer than a lot of the junk made today. My favorite is the hand plane I have that my father passed down to me and belonged to my great-grandfather originally. It's at least 80 years old.

2. Rob

Rob New Member

Those old hand planes are highly collectible, too. I go to auctions and see them fetch a pretty penny. If you have one with family history behind it, you indeed have a treasure. I wish I had more hand tools from people in my family who were carpenters and metal workers. I don't have many at all.

3. Cammy

Cammy New Member

I have all kinds of tools, that were handed down to me by my grandpa. I like the fact that the tools are well worn, and have a history to them.

4. remodelme

remodelme New Member

Yes, I was recently given quite a few tools that were my grandfathers. I do agree that they work the best, they are the best quality too. Nothing is made anymore the way it once was.

5. rlipeles

rlipeles New Member

I'm new to this group so just saw your post today. I'm also retired and have a hobby business of selling vintage hand tools. These are primarily Planes and Chisels. I find them, disassemble them, clean them up and sell at what I would call reasonable prices. If you are still looking for such tools, please contact me directly at: rlipeles@sbcglobal.net

6. Blueb

Blueb New Member

I have a few tools that were my grandfathers (both sets). My dad has not passed his down yet, he still uses them. I've been buying a lot of hand tools at yard sales.

7. Marshall

Marshall New Member

I have a couple of old hand planes that were pasted down from my grandfather and great grandfather .........

8. busterswoodshop

busterswoodshop Super Moderator Staff Member

I learned the trade from my Father. My Father was a carpenter and his Father was a carpenter. I have quite a few of the tools the they used. Planes , handsaws , chisels , sanding blocks , hammers , lots of clamps. The list goes on. When my Father died I went out to his shop and almost every power tool he had was worn out. I kept his old bandsaw . It sets in the corner of my shop now. It was made in 1931 and still works. I still use a lot of them today. I try to use at least one of my Fathers tools in everything I make.