Good Set Of Carving Tools?

Discussion in 'Woodworking Hand Tools' started by Woodyoumind?, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Woodyoumind?

Woodyoumind? New Member

What is a good set of hand carving tools to get to start out. Woodywoodpecker has got me thinking about those old men faces you carve into trees. I would like to try my hand at that! I don't know if I could do it but it sure wouldn't hurt to try.

2. WoodChuck

WoodChuck New Member

Just to get started until you know what you are doing and comfortable moving on you could try the Complete Beginners Woodcarving Kit . It is carried at WoodCraft and comes complete with how to's and projects to try.

3. woodywoodpecker

woodywoodpecker New Member

That looks nice Woodchuck. This wasn't even my question but I may try that too. This may become my next hobby that I try. Even if it's not perfect you could do pretty good. I don't want to become a famous artist, just mess around with wood.

4. Taggart

Taggart New Member

I think I'd have a look at Home Depot or Rona.

Last year I helped with a house contents sale and there were some really interesting old tools in that. Some of those tools were really made to last!

5. Woodyoumind?

Woodyoumind? New Member

Wow, Taggart you ran into a treasure trove! I plan to buy a good beginners set and start from there. The thread about making the old men's faces on sections of logs really set my wheels to turning! I can't wait to get started!

6. Wood Gnome

Wood Gnome New Member

When my father passed away I found an old box of things that had belonged to my grandfather. It contained several old hand tools. My father had always told my that I got my love of woodworking from Gramps. I cleaned and sharpened the tools and they work as good as new.

7. woodworking

woodworking New Member

When in doubt, my default for any good woodworking hand tool is to go to Lee Valley (they sell online/catalog as well as a few stores).

Rockler Woodworking also sells some good tools. You can view a list of the Rockler carving tools on this page (Full Disclosure: I run this website): http://www.woodworkingplans.ca/cats/hand-tools-and-shop-accessories/hand-tools/carving-tools

Generally speaking, the pricier the carving tool, the better it will hold an edge. My dad bought me a really nice set in the Southeastern United States about 15 years ago - all he said was that they were "pricey". I find them invaluable, both for carving and for the occasional woodworking project that needs a custom touch.