Hand Drills

Discussion in 'Woodworking Hand Tools' started by Taggart, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Taggart

Taggart New Member

I guess they're pretty much just antiques now, but have you ever used a hand drill on wood?

When I was a kid there were some around our place, and I'm sure I used them. I find it very nostalgic to see some of those old tools now.

2. Twiceshy

Twiceshy New Member

If the economy continues to slide downhill, we may all have to use hand tools!

We keep an eye out for non-electric tools, these days, because we want to be prepared to perform basic nome repairs without having to plug in.

3. Kitten

Kitten New Member

I remember my Mom using hand drills (she was much more into woodwork, building, etc, than my dad was) when I was younger, but I haven't actually used them myself.

4. Taggart

Taggart New Member

If anyone's interested in getting some, I'd suggest checking out the contents sales of houses that have been recently sold.

That's where I saw some interesting tools that were probably technically antiques.

5. oldnamvet

oldnamvet Member

I regularly use a brace & bit outside, especially for larger holes in posts or landscape timbers. It is less work than dragging out the power drill and spade bits. For just a starter hole somewhere in the house, I usually use an old Stanley Yankee push drill. If I have a bunch to do, I go for the power drill.

6. Taggart

Taggart New Member

Is that the kind with a handle that extends vertically and then turns the bit as you push down?

I've seen one like that and I thought it was very exotic.

7. oldnamvet

oldnamvet Member

That is the one. Bits don't look like typical drill bits but they work great for quick pilot holes. They are still made and available from places like Garrettwade.com. I also use the much smaller version for drilling starter holes for scroll saw work. Holes are typically smaller than 1/16".

8. chocoguy

chocoguy New Member

I guess that it differs from country to country. In my country we are still hand drills hand drills. My father has one but I couldn’t see it anymore.

9. angelicwriter

angelicwriter New Member

You know it's this site that lets people auction off and buy old woodworking tools. It's called Oldtools. The site is nice for anyone looking for nostalgic tools.

Here's the link :cool:

10. woodworking

woodworking New Member

I've used hand drills on two different occasions:
    1. For maple syrup operation in rural Ontario. Brace and bit drill set-up drills 1/2" holes in hard maple very well.
    2. For timber framing on a remote site with no power. Pump-type of hand drill worked very well for small diameter predrilling This worked well enough for me to consider buying a hand drill for remote woodworking. Never followed through, though.

11. danrpierce

danrpierce New Member

12. infotechproximity9

infotechproximity9 New Member

hey,
    friends please tell me that what company is best for tools for drilling in the wood
    which i briught from india
    They are still made and available from places like Garrettwade.com. I also use the much smaller version for drilling starter holes for scroll saw work...
    ____________________-

Used Auto Parts | Used Car Parts

13. handtooled

handtooled New Member

Hello, all --

I own a regular brace & bit, a double-geared hand drill (the kind with the bits stored in the handle), and a right-angle brace & bit type designed to drill holes in hard-to-reach spots (e.g. where there isn't enough room to turn the handle). I use them all fairly regularly because I like the quiet sound they make, and because it reminds me to take care of them so that they don't rust for lack of activity and maintenance.
    Yes they are more cumbersome to use but . . . they support my "measure three times cut once" style of woodworking.

14. BldrsWife

BldrsWife New Member

My grandpa had a whole set of these in different sizes. I distinctly recall the wonderful aroma of wood as he drilled out a hole and blew on the chips so he could see what he was doing.

15. Sidekick

Sidekick New Member

My husband is drooling over some French handmade rasps he wants to order. Those things cost over a hundred dollars apiece and I have no idea what he wants to do with them. If he wants them, though, we'll end up getting them. It's been a long time since he really wanted something for himself.

16. handtooled

handtooled New Member

If it's the Auriou set of rifflers, then his drooling is warranted. They are worth the price if you find yourself doing lots of shaping of lots of different shapes in small areas.