Looking for good compound hand miter box

Discussion in 'Woodworking Hand Tools' started by seesaw, Mar 15, 2012.

1. seesaw

seesaw New Member

Hi,

I'm fairly new to woodworking. I am looking for a good, COMPOUND hand miter box, with or without a saw. Any recommendations? Thanks!!

2. steve

steve Member

build one

3. WingDing

WingDing Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi seesaw,

Welcome to the wonderful, sometimes frustrating, world of woodworking!

I can't say that I've ever heard of a compound miter box before reading your post. But, the Internet is an amazing thing.

I found something you might be interested in at Lee Valley. Link below...

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=32926&cat=1,42884,43836

Of course, if you're shelling out ~$170 for a miter box, you could pick up a okay-quality compound miter saw, of the electric variety, for that or less, depending on the size you're looking for.

But, understand if you're a hand-tooler and want the miter box instead.

Let us know what you decide on!

Brett

4. steve

steve Member

5. WingDing

WingDing Super Moderator Staff Member

I like this, too. In order to get the compound piece of it, you'd simply have to cut an additional two slots for the combined 45 degree (horizontal) and 45 degree (vertical) cut.

Way cheaper than buying, but it might not be 100% perfect.

6. steve

steve Member

It would only be as accurate as the person who built it. craftsmen in the past used these and made some awesome stuff.

7. Calvin

Calvin New Member

I have limited space for everything I want to do, plus I need to leave as much open space as possible in case I am working on something that requires the space. I would rather have the space by eliminating a miter box and opting for the compound miter saw instead. That way I have more room for something I would use more often. You probably have more call for the miter box than I do. Good luck with your decision.