Making a cutting board from a single piece of Beech

Discussion in 'Woodworking Hand Tools' started by Quetico Chris, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Quetico Chris

Quetico Chris New Member

I am a novice woodworker looking to make a cutting board out of a single piece of Beech,. I am only using hand tools, no power tools what so ever. This includes cutting the tree up by hand as well. I'm looking for some advice on how to make the cutting board with minimal warp in the final product.

2. Woodyoumind?

Woodyoumind? New Member

I don't know about the rest of the question, but when you get it made make sure you season it first and then occasionally with an edible oil like mineral oil. This keeps it from cracking and warping after you have it made. If you use other cooking oils they could turn rancid and then it would be ruined.

3. Taggart

Taggart New Member

To me, that sounds like a big job - But anything I've done similar to that was in a wood shop with the benefit of a surface planer and other power tools.

Woodyoumind, are you saying that we should be careful about leaving substances like olive oil on the cutting boards that we've already been using?

4. Wood Gnome

Wood Gnome New Member

Olive oil can be used safely. It has a higher tendency to turn rancid than mineral oil or coconut oil, but can still be used sparingly. Most experts recommend using mineral oil, beeswax, walnut, almond or coconut oil.

5. Taggart

Taggart New Member

I've rubbed wax into a checkerboard I made years ago... But I definitely don't slice cheese on that board. :cool:

I think it will be quite a challenge to cut the tree up by hand and arrive at a uniform thickness.

6. oldnamvet

oldnamvet Member

To have the best chance of no warping, you will have to make it from quartersawn material. That means the board will be cut perpendicular to the growth rings of the tree rather than flat sawn as most lumber you see at Home Depot or Lowes. No power tools at all?? :eek: you're going to get lots of exercise, especially when you are planing that board flat by hand.

7. Quetico Chris

Quetico Chris New Member

Thanks everyone for the advise. I've been doing some experimenting and found that when I cut with the grain from the center of the tree I get a board that does not warp very much. The farther I get out from the middle the more it warps. I think someone called this quartersawn. I also purchased some mineral oil to season them. It is a lot of work to make them but I enjoy the effort. The key is to have a good stiff rip saw and a lot of elbow grease to finish the surface.

8. woodworking

woodworking New Member

I'd like to hear the outcome of this project after a few months of use inside (especially in the winter, if I take it from your username that you are in Ontario?). As a few folks have pointed out, the change in humidity in your area will likely pose a major checking problem. Your board may become boards. I know that one possible workaround to this that woodturners in your region use is to season the raw wood or finished piece (raw would be better) in a bucket of wood chips. Apparently apple wood chips work very well.