Storage for hacksaw or other straight blades

Discussion in 'Woodworking Hand Tools' started by carrot, Feb 21, 2012.

1. carrot

carrot New Member

We had an old knife block that we were going to toss and my husband got the bright idea to use it for the extra hacksaw blades. It works perfectly and it keeps them organized while keeping something out of the landfill.

2. remodelme

remodelme New Member

That is a great idea and one I never thought about. We have our blades in a file cabinet in file folders in the shop. It's not the safest place to store them.

3. Calvin

Calvin New Member

I purchased an old table from the scrap building supply warehouse where odds and ends are sold really cheaply. I cut slots in top to hold assorted saws that let the saw blades dangle down. I added an outside covering around the sides of the table from particle board to keep out dust and moisture. It works fine for me.

4. Rob

Rob New Member

I need to rethink the way I'm storing my bladed tools. Currently I have them hanging on a wall, but I do need to take better care about moisture and dust build issues as my shop area is open much of the time.

5. Christopher

Christopher New Member

I have my blades stored inside this metal cabinet. There is probably a better way to store them, but I tend to forget the little things. Kudos to you, for recycling something that would have went to a landfill!

6. WingDing

WingDing Super Moderator Staff Member

Great idea! I've seen some people cut PVC to varying sizes, using this to store some blades not in use. Obviously, size/shape of blade is important, but if done right, could throw one of those ZERUST tabs in there with a screw-on cap, and keep the blades rust-free.