Treasure trove

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Harry, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Harry

Harry New Member

My wife heard that they had old books for sale at the local Habitat for Humanity store and dragged me along. Boy, was I surprised at all the goodies they had for builders and woodworkers. I found all sorts of wooden items, frames, solid core doors and lengths of brand new wood. I filled up a grocery cart with stuff and paid under $20 for the whole basket.

2. contractor

contractor New Member

Habitat For Humanity is a a great place to shop if you don't mind using reclaimed items, and you have the patience to keep coming back until they have what you are looking for. I'm kind of surprised that more people don't take advantage of the savings by shopping there.

3. Rae

Rae New Member

I didn't know that Habitat for Humanity did that. Great tip! I'll have to do some research and see if they have a store like that near me. I'd love to get all that stuff for $20!

4. Sidekick

Sidekick New Member

Desks, doors and windows

The time I was in Habitat for Humanity's store in our town I saw lots of doors, windows, desks and sinks. I didn't see any books, but if I had I would certainly have gone back by now. Our store hasn't been open long, so maybe they have new inventory. I'm going back soon. Thanks for the suggestion.

5. Sparrow

Sparrow New Member

That sounds absolutely fantastic!

I'm not sure if there is a Habitat for Humanity store near me but I'm definitely going to see if I can find one. I'm on a budget and I'm always on the lookout for deals! Thanks for the tip!

6. Nailed

Nailed New Member

There are architectural recycling stores, too. Prices can be steep in some areas, but you can find a cast-off from time to time that no one sees much value in. I've picked up odd pieces of wood and rustic items that I've repurposed into other projects such as shadow boxes or small tables.

7. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Habitat for Humanity is such a wonderful place for a woodworker to go and search for special treasures. We love to go as they often have some very nice small sizes of wood that have been donated from contractors, which we can use for our dollhouse creation.

8. remodelme

remodelme New Member

This is the first I've heard of a Habitat for Humanity store. I knew about the company (building for those less fortunate). I'm going to have to look in my area to see if I can find a store. It sounds like there are deals to be had there!

9. Christopher

Christopher New Member

I am going to have to research, and see if there is a similar store around here. I do not mind using reclaimed stuff, when the money goes to something like Habitat for Humanity. Saving money is good, but helping others is even better!

10. steve

steve Member

11. Cammy

Cammy New Member

I did not realize there was a Habitat for Humanity store. Now I am curious what other interesting stores like this, are out there! I usually just see people putting their leftover wood and stuff on the side of the road. I have picked up many things on the roadside, that were still perfectly good.